Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Guiso de Maiz Tierno (Cuban Corn Stew)

We never made any type of Cuban corn stew in my household, but I was reading "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" (it's also posted online "Guiso de Maiz" by Mary Urrutia) and I also saw a recipe for "Guiso de Maiz" by Nitza Villapol (the communist Cuban Julia Child) after reading those recipes I felt like making a corn stew (yes even in the summer heat :) so I observed both recipes, both where a bit iffy, I read both recipes to get an understanding of the dish, and then I just cooked it my way to suit my families taste preferences.

My version of the dish is like the Cuban "Potajes" I usually make but instead of being bean/ legume based it's fresh sweet corn based. (Corn is in season so expect some more fresh corn dishes the corn at the store looks beautiful. My grandma taught me a delicous dish with pork meat and corn in a creole sauce very good hopefully I'll have the chance to make that some time soon)

Ingredients:
-1/2 medium sized Calabaza cut in large chunks (like Butternut, Banana, Hubbard, etc. Carribean Squash is what's suppose to be used in Cuban cooking but it's not readily available here where I live and the others make good substitutes, any starchy orange fleshed winter squash will do)
-3 medium potatoes (peeled, and cut into large chunks)
-5 cups fresh corn kernels (I used about 5-6 large corn cobs it made 5 cups)
-2 medium Spanish Chorizo's (or 1/2 a large Spanish CHorizo I used Palacios "Chorizo Español Autentico")
- 1/2 lbs. cubed pork ham
-1/4 cup more or less extra-virgin olive oil
-1 large green bell pepper
-1 large yellow onion
-1/2 head of garlic peeled mashed to a paste
-1 can 8 oz. about 1 cup tomato sauce
-1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
-salt to taste (I used like 2 teaspoons)
-5-6 cups water

Directions:

(1)Heat olive oil in a deep large pot on medium high, sautee cubed pork until browned and renders some fat, add spanish chorizo, sautee until aromatic, now add onion and bell pepper sautee 5-7 minutes until translucent, add garlic sautee 2 minutes, throw in cumin and stir until fragrant like 30-60 seconds. Now add tomato sauce until it stats bubbling let it cook for about 2 minutes. You finally formed you base (sofrito with ham and chorizo)
.... I forgot to take a picture of me adding the tomato sauce but you get the point and sofrito looks damn good already ;)

(2)Add corn kernels stir well, add water, throw in potatoes and calabaza along with water, salt to taste and bring to a strong boil cover and simmer on low 30 minutes, uncover and it's done.

(3)You can serve it alone or if you don't mind all the carbs eat it with bread :) I think a nice salad is good with it to but not nessecarry.

SUPER IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!:
-When peeling the fresh corn cobs do not THROW AWAY the corn "hairs" (those silky looking hairs from the corns inside???? I will show you how to make a refreshing tea with it that we make in my household)

Lastly:
You may be interesterd if you have fresh corn in this Cuban dish I make "Arroz Con Maiz" (Steamed Yellow Rice with Corn)

4 comments:

Hilda said...

Me encantan tus guisos y potajes, cada vez que entro en tu blog encuento uno diferente y seguro que rico rico...
Besos

Nathan said...

Gracias Hilda me alegra que te encanten mis potajes y guisos, luego en el mes estoy pensando en acer un "Potaje de Panza y Pata de Res" y a la mejor mas adelante en el ano un "Potaje de Alubias Blancas" hojala que te encanten :)

Anonymous said...

Guiso was always my sister's favorite dish that mami made. As a working mom it was quick and easy to make especially using a pressure cooker. Can't wait to try this version.

Anonymous said...

estupendo este guiso, bien hecho....me encanta!!
Yordan